We appreciate the support of the Lafayette Life Foundation! The West Lafayette Schools Education Foundation was recently awarded a grant from Lafayette Life Foundation for $5,000, which will be used to supply food and backpacks for students in the West Lafayette Backpack Program for part of the 2018 fall semester.
We Take Care of Our Community
The West Lafayette Backpack Program operates solely on your donations and grants to keep this program going. The cost of one backpack full of food for a week is $6.00.
The West Lafayette Backpack Program has been blessed by generous donors, and time and again, our donors help to feed every student who qualifies for free and reduced lunch, per federal guidelines, in our school system. Additionally, through the generosity of our donors, our volunteers are able to pack additional nutritious snacks, such as apples, and we are also able to provide food for the whole family, including pasta and sauce, meal essentials, and pies for the holiday season.
Here are a few other statistics about the West Lafayette Backpack Program.
- Last year, Backpack Program volunteers packed food for about 80 families, and now we have around 90 families to serve.
- This means that the needs of students in our program have increased by over 10% since last year.
- This year, almost 15% of WLCSC students qualify for the Backpack Program.
- $225.00 supports one family for the entire school year with a backpack of food each week.
- Thank you to our 50+ volunteers who give their time and efforts to make the Backpack Program successful in West Lafayette Schools.
If you would like to donate to the Backpack Program, please click on the button at the top of this page. Or, please send a check (payable to West Lafayette Schools Education Foundation) with a note in the memo line designating your gift for “Backpack.” Checks can be mailed to:
Attn: Lindsay Walls
1130 N. Salisbury St.
West Lafayette, IN 47906
Our amazing volunteer Backpack Program Coordinators! (left to right) Rachel Shook, Lisa MacDonald, and Cathy Kastens